Six months ago, I couldn’t tell you about Storage Wars. I saw the title on A&E while watching the channel channel ~ as the guide channel has been coined by my kids. It’s catchy and it stuck. Anyway, tv shows are getting so intense and crazy in this day and age that it could have been about actual turf wars over storage of weapons in some gang ridden city.
Not interested, thanks..
At the assurance of my husband that it was not about actual war, I gave the show a shot and was quickly swept in. Storage Wars is really about a couple of auctioneers who auction abandoned storage lockers to the characters of the show ~ among others. There are 5 focal characters and they each have their own personalities and dimension to add to the show, but the thing that is interesting to me is what they find in the lockers and the value of the found treasure.
Who knew you could do this for a living?
Aside from compelling me to seriously consider seeking out a
treasure chest storage locker auction myself, here are 5 important lessons that I learned from watching the show ~ maybe you’ll find them useful.
- Silver can’t be picked up by a magnet
- Old Levis with red stitching on the inside bottom seam can sell for hundreds of dollars. (You know you’re gonna go check yours right now..)
- People can talk fast – really fast, but auctioneers put a lot of ‘bda bda bda’ in the middle of saying actual words. The secret to understanding them is to listen around the filler noise. Hey! They are speaking English!
- You can’t sell body parts – even if you buy them in a storage locker. This bears repeating ~ you can’t sell body parts.
- The most important lesson is one that I’m sure you already know ~ in life and business, it’s all about relationships.
Amazing what you can learn and from where, huh?
I’ll leave you with a clip of my all time favorite character: Barry Weiss ~ he is hilarious and personable and he pretty much makes the show. Enjoy!
Do you watch Storage Wars? What have you learned from it?